Facilities Maintenance Technician
Company: Palomar College
Location: San Marcos
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Facilities Maintenance Technician
Full or Part Time
Hours per week
Number of Months
Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
In addition to a competitive compensation structure, Palomar
College also offers an extremely generous benefits package.
- Fully paid HMO medical, HMO dental, and vision insurance for
employees and dependents (additional buy up options available)
- Vacation, sick leave and 25 paid holidays
- $80,000 life/accident insurance policy (additional buy up
- Long-term care insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) - Free counseling, financial,
legal, personal and professional development resources
- Additional buy up options available for other voluntary
- Enrollment in CalPERS (California Public Employees Retirement
The estimated maximum value of this employer-paid benefits package
is approximately $33,260 annually.
Performs a wide variety of building trades tasks in the
maintenance, repair, alternation and construction of District
buildings and facilities; assists other Facilities personnel who
are performing journey-level electrical, carpentry, plumbing, HVAC
and other duties.
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide
evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
--- Experience: Two years of experience performing semi-skilled
work in one of the building trades (carpentry, electrical, HVAC,
metal fabrication/welding, painting, plumbing or skilled
--- Education: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade
--- For work experience, a "year" is defined as equivalent to 40
hours per week for 12 months.
--- Only coursework completed at, and degrees awarded by,
accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of
Education will be considered as satisfying the minimum
qualifications. Coursework and degrees that are completed outside
of the United States are required to have transcripts evaluated
(evaluation to U.S. equivalency and a course by course analysis) by
an appropriate U.S. credentials evaluation service. For a list of
credentials evaluation agencies accepted by Palomar College, visit
the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services (NACES)
website at www.naces.org, or the Association of International
Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) website at
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Palomar College serves over 30,000 students from a variety of
backgrounds and we are proud to be a Hispanic Serving Institution.
Our student body is rich in its diversity. Click here to see a
quick overview of our student demographics on our recent Student
Palomar College is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion,
access and antiracism. We are dedicated to empowering students to
succeed and are guided by our core values; some of which are the
- Access - We make education possible for everyone.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - We recognize and respect
diversity, seek to foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, and
strive to address inequities.
All positions require cultural competency which includes the
sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students,
faculty, and staff.
Licenses and/or Certificates
Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license by
time of appointment.
Supervision Received and Exercised
Supervision Received From: An Assigned Administrator or
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Functions: Essential responsibilities and duties may
include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks involved in
the maintenance, servicing and repair of plumbing, HVAC and
electrical equipment, fixtures and systems; diagnoses equipment
failures and problems; reads and interprets instructions, drawings,
schematics, specifications and building codes; estimates and
requisitions materials and supplies for assigned jobs; responds to
emergency calls and routine calls for service.
2. Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures on toilets, sinks,
drinking fountains, water piping and other equipment and
appliances; packs faucets, wipes and flushes joints; cleans out
drains and obstructions in water systems.
3. Installs, maintains and services air conditioning, heating,
ventilation and refrigeration equipment including electrical
controls; changes filters; cleans, oils and lubricates motors and
bearings and adjusts belts and pulleys; performs regularly
scheduled preventative maintenance; cleans coils and vacuum
4. Inspects, cleans, repairs and maintains lighting fixtures and
systems, equipment, appliances and fixtures; rewires and replaces
defective devices and worn parts.
5. Alters, repairs or constructs articles and structures of wood
and other materials, such as partitions, counters, doors, scaffolds
and forms; constructs, assembles and installs cabinets, desks,
tables and chairs; operates power saws, routers, planers, sanders,
joiners and other woodworking equipment.
6. Repairs and paints walls; installs white boards.
7. Performs cement, block and tile work; digs footings, grades
surfaces, installs rebar, pours footings and cement; grinds and
patches cement; applies texture coating and color coating of block
8. Lays linoleum and ceramic tiles; repairs linoleum, tile and
floor carpeting; hangs ceiling tiles.
9. Performs parking lot maintenance activities including picking up
trash, patching, crack filling, striping, sealing, asphalt overlay,
and painting of lines, curbs and directional arrows.
10. Operates and maintains a variety of hand and power equipment
and tools such as backhoes, cement mixers and grinders, drills,
saws, finishing tools and a wide variety of hand tools.
11. Maintains a variety of records and logs of work performed.
12. May oversee and direct public service workers.
1. Performs custodial duties in classrooms, offices and restrooms;
secures and locks assigned buildings and rooms after evening
2. Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
1. Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in rough and finish
carpentry, cabinetry and wood finishing.
2. Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the electrical
3. Shop mathematics.
4. Methods, tools and equipment used in the plumbing trades,
including HVAC maintenance.
5. Methods and materials used in concrete work, surface patching,
and brick and masonry repair.
6. Surface preparation and application of paints appropriate to
different internal and external surfaces.
7. Operation and maintenance of a wide variety of hand, power and
shop tools and equipment common to HVAC, electrical, plumbing,
carpentry and related building trades.
8. Safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the
9. Methods, safety and notification requirements applicable to the
storage, use and disposal of hazardous materials.
1. Performing semi-skilled and skilled building maintenance and
repair work applicable to the building trades including plumbing,
electrical, carpentry and related areas.
2. Operating and maintaining specialized tools used in HVAC,
electrical, carpentry, plumbing and related building trades in a
safe and efficient manner.
3. Measuring and calculating angles, lengths and volumes.
4. Understanding and following oral and written instructions.
5. Estimating necessary materials and equipment to complete
6. Exercising independent judgment and initiative without close
7. Preparing basic records and reports.
8. Reading and interpreting building codes, manuals,
specifications, drawings and blueprints.
9. Maintaining sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity,
sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college
students, faculty, and staff.
10. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
with those encountered in the course of the work
Environmental Conditions: The employee typically works in outside
weather conditions, near moving mechanical parts, and/or is exposed
to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration, fumes or airborne
particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock
and the noise level is occasionally loud. The employee travels from
job site to job site.
Physical Conditions: Essential and marginal functions may require
physical fitness requirements necessary to perform the job
functions with or without accommodation, such as the ability to
perform moderate to heavy lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds and
occasionally up to 100 pounds; bending, stooping, kneeling,
crawling; standing and walking for prolonged periods; operating
motorized equipment and vehicles; work in high, precarious places.
The incumbent requires near visual acuity for the performance of
assigned tasks and the ability to hear equipment operating sounds
Terms of Employment
- The person selected for hire will be required to complete the
following pre-employment requirements: live scan/fingerprinting,
official transcript(s), and TB risk assessment. Other
pre-employment requirements may be required depending on the
position (i.e. certifications or licenses; see applicable job
posting section for details). Successful completion of all
pre-employment requirements is mandatory to be eligible for
employment. These requirements are in accordance with the following
Administrative Procedures and Board Policies: AP 7120, AP 7125, AP
7126, AP 7127, AP 7330, BP 7330, AP 7336, AP 7337, and BP
- Full-time, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year
- Due to the working and physical conditions listed on this job
posting, the person selected for hire will be required to complete
a pre-employment physical, which includes a drug test. If selected,
successful completion of all components of the physical is required
to be eligible for employment.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Additional Application Information
The hiring committee will decide if interviews will be conducted in
person at the College or via Zoom. Travel expenses are not
reimbursed by the College.
Keywords: Palomar College, San Marcos , Facilities Maintenance Technician, Professions , San Marcos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!