Charge RN - Med/Surg Night Full-Time - San Marcos
Location: San Marcos
Posted on: March 11, 2023
Job Summary: Functions as a Lead of the healthcare team,
coordinates departmental operations that ensure quality patient
care in a safe, healing environment that is patient and family
centered. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own
professional practice. Has appropriate clinical skills to be an
expert resource. Is available and supportive to employees and
understands priorities/needs of the department. Is a staff role
model for professional nursing practice. May recommend to
management in efficient resource allocation by assuring appropriate
patient assignments, staffing, and scheduling. Demonstrates
performance consistent with the strategic plan of the organization
and the KP nursing mission and values. Essential Responsibilities:
The Charge Registered Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting
the following skills, competencies, and behaviors: Leadership:
- Directs reviews, assigns and organizes the work of at least
three (3) or more employees, of which at least one (1) must be
another Registered Nurse.
- Applies the KP Nursing mission, vision, values and behaviors in
daily practice. Understands needs and sets priorities for the
- Provides professional leadership and direction of department
personnel in order to maintain efficient delivery of effective
- Coordinates departmental operations and delegates tasks
appropriately. Is an excellent staff role model for professional
nursing practice (e.g. RN/MD Collaborating for Outcomes, Just
Culture, Quality, Service, Safety). Supports and enhances the
leadership skills of the staff RNs, LVNs and UAs/CNAs (and other
ancillary staff as appropriate).
- Upholds compliance with Kaiser Permanentes Policies and
Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, applicable state and
federal laws and regulations, and accreditation and licensure
- Upholds the standards of the California Nurse Practice Act,
American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards of Nursing Practice,
and ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Champions new ideas; Actively collaborates with others through
the change process.
- Acts as a resource, preceptor and mentor to new employees,
registry, students, and other team members in department specific
operations and patient care activities.
- Collaborates with or refers to manager/clinical nurse
specialist/educator any outstanding issues or concerns on the unit.
Demonstrates ability to identify and resolve problems in
collaboration with work team and with other departments.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, policies,
procedures, and standards of practice.
- Participates in activities related to patient flow, including
admission and discharge rocesses. Facilitates
inter-professional/interdisciplinary communication and
collaboration. Nursing Process:
- Serves as a resource for clinical concerns, scope of practice
and applicable state and federal regulations as well as operational
concerns of providers and staff. Possesses experience and skills to
be a resource for providers, RNs, LVNs, USs/CNAs, (and other
ancillary staff as appropriate).
- Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule to meet the
department demands--of the day; facilitates and relieves staff
- Actively involved in assigning, orienting, and precepting and
coaching staff as needed. Documentation:
- Conducts audits and ensures that documentation reflects
thorough assessments, incorporates physical and psychosocial
findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, barriers,
multidisciplinary education plans and age appropriate care.
- Participates/leads various aspects of department operations,
staff competencies, department committees, Unit Based Teams (UBTs),
new projects, quality efforts, and educational programs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of patients specific conditions commonly
seen in the department and care required. Interfaces with
leadership, peers, physicians, other healthcare providers, and
support staff regarding performance, as necessary.
- Actively participates, champions and motivates other staff in
quality improvement in patient care, workflow, and improvement in
clinical initiatives and working conditions of the department.
Provides input on employees performance evaluations through daily
observation and monitoring of performance. Workplace Safety:
- Adjusts staffing needs of the department to assure quality
patient care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity
and working conditions of providers and staff. Actively models
Labor-Management Partnership (LMP) Workplace Safety principles and
practices. Patient Care Experience/Customer Service:
- Acts as a role model for staff regarding providing a patient
care experience that exceeds members expectations.
- Ensures timely and appropriate management of patients.
- Coordinates smooth transition for patients across the care
continuum. Participates in daily leadership rounds, documents
rounding activities on unit rounding logs (as appropriate.).
Assures hourly rounds are conducted by staff. Where appropriate,
assures hourly rounds are documented according to unit/facility
policy or guidelines. Team Commitment:
- Ensures support of the collaborative LMP environment through
unit based teams (UBTs). Identifies and supports staff
professional/clinical development needs (i.e. certification,
- Motivates staff to attain their fullest potential in improving
performance, attendance, access, service and quality outcomes.
Lead/facilitate daily/shift multidisciplinary huddles. Assures
huddle messages are consistently communicated. Confronts difficult
or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate
assistance. Fiscal Responsibility:
- Participates in resource allocation (assignments, scheduling,
staffing, equipment/supplies management).
- Collaborates and assists with leadership, physicians, and peers
in staffing, workflow and throughput to promote quality patient
care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity and
working conditions of providers and staff. Professional
- Attends Charge Nurse Educational programs. Takes responsibility
for professional growth and development. Basic Qualifications:
- 1-year recent (within the last 3 years) full-time equivalent
experience in an acute care setting or successful completion of a
KP training course or approved equivalent within prior 12 months.
- N/A License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (California)
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association Additional
- N/A Preferred Qualifications:
- BSN preferred. Notes: Payday Weekend If twelve (12) hour option
chosen, shift will be 7:00 pm-7:30 am, back up 8 hour shift will be
3:00 pm to 11:30 pm. Job Schedule: Job Category: Nursing Licensed &
Keywords: Kaiser, San Marcos , Charge RN - Med/Surg Night Full-Time - San Marcos, Healthcare , San Marcos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...